In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that brings people together to share a TED-like experience. At TEDx, TED Talks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection.
Today we take a step to join the movement by organizing TEDX in the heart of Odisha. National Law University Odisha aims to make ripples in calm waters and incite introspection and reflection. TEDX NLUO | iMBIBE | iNNOVATE | iMPART is an independent event aimed at showcasing the diverse spectrum of human thought and contribute to creating a culture of questioning and discovering.
TED has a long-standing tradition of weaving a story. At the heart of their philosophy is the thirst for knowledge and passion for keeping it free-flowing. TED tells the stories of survivors, inventors, scientists, humanitarians and so much more, thus immortalizing that seed of an idea in time forever.
So, let us tell you a story. A story woven by the excellence of human ingenuity knitted right and left with the threads of passion and strife, leaving you in awe. A story of the men behind the scene, of the movers and shakers and those who etched out a niche for themselves. A story that celebrates the voice of a survivor and the voice of a winner.
It’s time we put their voices on the dais and let the countdown begin. We present to you speakers ranging from Chaiwala turned humanitarian like D. Prakash Rao, film-maker and humanitarian Sanjoy Hazarika to the ones filling your daily cup of entertainment like Head of Digital Marketing at Voot, an ex-googler and an IIT-ian.
Following are the speaker profiles:
- Prakash Rao is a 60-year-old tea-seller at Buxi Bazaar in Cuttack, India. However, that’s the only ordinary thing about him. His father was a World War II veteran, and whilst growing up he had to endure the pangs of poverty and premature responsibility. Since age 7, he has been managing his father’s tea stall, their only means of an income, after the family fell on hard times. Over the course of years, Rao recognized the power of expression in molding and shaping individual and collective plight. He gradually developed into a polyglot- being able to speak in as many as 6 or 7 tongues, in his pursuit of securing oneness with many a kind of individual. Interaction and the different modalities of expression intrigued him. After being a victim to lower torso paralysis 4 decades ago, and being saved by a donation of 1 unit of blood, Mr. Rao gave in to the empathy and altruism within him. Today, he is the world record holder for being the highest blood donor in Asia. He runs a primary school for slum children, provides daily milk and nourishment to the students with the proceeds of his tea stall.
- Paramjeet Singh Bhalla, was a part of the launch team at hotstar, India’s first successful video-on-demand platform-one of the fastest adopted platforms(app download) ever.
Currently he is part of the launch team at Voot which is Viacom18’s advertising led VoD pltform and hosts over 30,000 hours of video content.Mr. Bhalla is a tech junkie in spirit. He prefers probabilities, only to have a greater control over the outcome, often toggling with causes and their probable effects.
- Mr. Cherian Thomas is the CEO and national director of World Vision India, an organization working through development, relief, and advocacy, to create lasting change in the lives of children, their families, and communities living in poverty and injustice. World Vision India serves all people regardless of religion, caste, race, ethnicity or gender.Mr. Thomas comes with a rich experience of over 28 years in the industry, banking, financial services and development spanning various functional areas such as project development and advisory services, project and trade finance, leasing, investment banking, resources and treasury operations, policy advocacy, capacity building and CSR.
- Dr. Sanjoy Hazarika is an acclaimed human rights activist, recognized internationally for designing and developing innovative strategies for inclusive health and governance. Mr. Hazarika is also a renowned scholar, author, journalist & filmmaker. He is the new Director of Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative. A native of Shillong, Mr. Hazarika is widely acknowledged as an expert on the North Eastern region of India. He is a specialist on issues of welfare and migration in the region, and he has the most novel phenomenon to showcase which is all set to enthrall many a social thinker in our country.
- Swathi Sukumar is a lawyer who runs a private civil litigation practice, focused on intellectual property. She has been a lawyer in several prominent judgments in the area of intellectual property. She holds a Bachelors law degree from NALSAR University of Law, and a Masters law degree with Honors from Columbia Law School, United States. Alongside her private practice, in 2011 she co-founded iProbono India. iProbono India focuses on providing access to justice to disadvantaged individuals and also provides legal assistance to Indian civil society organizations, on a pro bono basis. iProbono works with vulnerable individuals, such as disadvantaged children who have survived sexual abuse, street vendors, and other individuals who face impediments in accessing justice, by providing them legal assistance.In the past two years alone, under Swathi’s leadership and supervision, iProbono has provided over 28 child survivors of sexual abuse with pro bono legal assistance through its network.
- Richa Singh is the conceptualizer and co-founder of YourDOST -an emotional wellness solution where users can anonymously seek support from psychologists and other trained individuals.She is an IIT Guwahati alumna with specialization in User Experience Design. Post this, She has led the product development at Webfluenz for 3 years (ranked among top 15 social media analytics tools).She is a thinker as well as a story-lover. Some of her achievements include being in the Forbes 30 under 30, India, featuring and in NDTV Women of Worth and Winning of the Digital Women Awards. She is on a mission to eliminate the stigma attached to counseling and mental wellness support. She is a revered changemaker for community welfare.
Venue Details: Come join us as we celebrate this tradition of master storytelling on the 9th of April 2017 at the National Law University Odisha, Cuttack amphitheater from 10 A.M. onwards.
To register visit http://tedxnluo.in/register-now/
For details on the event, please visit the website http://tedxnluo.in/
This article is produced in collaboration with TEDx NLUO & The Broken Scooter Team is proud to be the online media partners for an event which is foremost in nurturing creativity and curiosity.