The deep depression in Bay of Bengal has intensified into a cyclonic storm ROANU during the early morning hours of May 19. Parts of Odisha and Andhra Pradesh will be affected by gusty surface winds and rainfall due to the storm and are currently on high alert.
A real-time satellite loop of Roanu (source: cyclocane)
A glimpse into the forecast and intensity track as per Skymet shows that it can create considerable impact on coastal Odisha and Andhra Pradesh.
— Eric Holthaus (@EricHolthaus) May 19, 2016
Effects are also being witnessed in the Capital.
— PIYUSH ROUT (@piyushrout) May 19, 2016
According to Skymet Weather, Roanu is likely to move in northeast direction and make landfall over Bangladesh coast by night of May 21 or early morning of May 22. However at the time of landfall, the system may weaken slightly and strike as a cyclonic storm only.
The CMO has already started reviewing the cyclone situation.
— CMO Odisha (@CMO_Odisha) May 19, 2016
Though the authorities will be doing their part, we request our readers to follow these precautionary measures to stay safe.
Here’s a comprehensive checklist:
Before the Cyclone
- Preferably fit shutters, or at least metal screens, to all glass areas.
- Clear your property of loose material that could blow about and possibly cause injury or damage during extreme winds.
- In case of a storm surge/tide warning, or other flooding, know your nearest safe high ground which you can reach in 15 minutes and the safest access route to it.
- Prepare an emergency kit containing:
- Fully charged cellphone
- a portable battery radio, torch and spare batteries;
- water containers, dried or canned food and a can opener;
- matches, candles, fuel lamp, portable stove, cooking gear, eating utensils;
- a first aid kit and manual, masking tape for windows and waterproof bags.
- Keep a list of emergency phone numbers on display.
- Turn on your TV/radio. You’ll get the latest weather updates and emergency instructions from All India Radio (AIR) and other local sources.
- Fill your vehicles fuel tanks.
- Park vehicles under solid shelter(hand brake on and in gear)
During the Cyclone:
- Disconnect all electrical appliances. Listen to your battery radio for updates.
- Stay inside and shelter(well clear of windows) in the strongest part of the building. Keep evacuation and emergency kits with you.
- Beware the calm ‘eye’. If the wind drops, don’t assume the cyclone is over; violent winds will soon resume from another direction. Wait for the official ‘all clear’.
- If driving, stop (handbrake on and in gear) – but well away from the sea and clear of trees, power lines and streams. Stay in the vehicle.
- Stay away from streams, riverbanks, and coastal areas during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
- Walk only where floodwaters aren’t moving.
- Use a stick to check the depth of the water and firmness of the ground in front of you.
Though not as intense as Cyclone Phailin, we should never under estimate nature’s fury. Reports also indicate Roanu becoming more servere by night.
Share this guide with friends and family and let us know what other measures/steps we can take. Let’s tweet using #OdishaFightsRoanu for updates about the storm.