If you live in any of the metros,chances are that you might be gobbling down breakfast at McDonald’s, lunch at KFC and dinner at an exquisite restaurant but for the people of a city which is hundreds of years old,with river Mahanadi on one side and river Kathjodi on the other, the breakfast, lunch and dinner all comes up to only one item, “Dahibara Aloodum.”
With about 52 streets and 53 lanes amongst them, cuttack ,to a newbie, will be nothing less than a maze.
The most interesting part of this maze is you can find a Dahibara Handcart at the end of each lane.Dahibara Aloodum in Cuttack has it’s signature style which is the hint of spiciness and a slight flavour of pudina in it.
A day in the life of a Dahibara Aloodum Vendor
The Dahibara stall infront of the petrol pump in “Kanika chaka” .
The delicious Bara’s are soaked in dahi, they are covered with Hot Ghuguni and Aloodum . The entire plate of dahibara aloodum is then garnished with curd ,onions and pudina chatni.
Out of the many “dahibarawalas” in the silver city, there are few who have made a name for themselves.
- Raghu Dahibara is one of the most renowned one amidst the people of Cuttack. The specialty of his Dahibara is that he doesn’t give the usual “Ghuguni” with the dahibara. He also doesn’t offer spoons to his customers, a firm believer in the fact that food is tastier when eaten with bare hands.
- Ishwar Dahibara is another stall which offers amazing “dahibara aloodum” . Though the quantity isn’t too much, the divine taste makes up for it.
So with numerous Dahibarawalas, you got plenty of spots to choose from.
The Broken Scooter with the aid of few foodies have decided to make a list of Best Joints to munch Dahibara Aloodum in Cuttack.
Best Dahibara Aloodum Joints/Stalls in Cuttack (not in any particular order)
- Raghu Dahibara Aloodum – Bidanasi, Deulasahi.
- Eshwar Dahibara Aloodum – Biju Patnaik Chowk.
- Dahibara stall at Ranihaat, Chandan Padia.
- Dahibara stall infront of Kanika Chowk Petrol Pump.
- Satichaura Chowk Dahibara.
- Dolamundai Chowk Dahibara.
- Amar dahibara – In front of Dama Maharaj,sec-6 CDA.
- Rama Dahibara – In front of SB women’s college ,near Chandi Mandir .
- Bhoggie Dahibara – Near New Stewart school , mission road.
PS : If we have missed out any other amazing dahibara aloodum stalls in cuttack. Please leave a comment for TBS foodies to check out your favorite stall.
Foodie : Nishant Dash
Photos Courtesy : Anish Abhijeet